High-performance Star-series lens with large f/2.8 maximum aperture
Providing a large maximum aperture of f/2.8 over the entire zoom range, it is ideal for portraiture with beautifully defocused foreground/ background and sports photography demanding high shutter speeds to freeze the action. Its image circle is optimized to cover even the image size of 35mm film format SLR cameras. As the result, it not only assures brilliant, high-resolution images without compromising the sharpness at edges even when mounted on an existing PENTAX digital SLR camera body, but it is also capable of accepting future models with larger image sensors without modifications.
State-of-the-art optical technology
This zoom lens is treated with the newly developed Aero Bright Coating II – a lens-coating nanotechnology that employs a super-low refractive film fabrication process to assure light reflectance lower than that of the conventional Aero Bright Coating. Reduces an average reflectance in a visible ray spectrum to less than 50% of conventional multi-layer coatings, this lens effectively reduces flare and ghost images to a minimum even under demanding lighting conditions such as backlight. In its optics, it also features four super-low dispersion glass elements, two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements, and two Super ED glass elements, which have optical properties similar to fluorite and assure lower light dispersion and more effective compensation of chromatic aberration. As the result, this lens produces brilliant, high-contrast images with edge-to-edge sharpness, while effectively compensating chromatic aberration over the entire zoom range.
Dustproof, weather-resistant construction
Developed as an AW (All Weather) model, this zoom lens features a dependable dustproof, weather-resistant construction with 13 special seals to prevent the intrusion of water and dust particles into the lens interior. By pairing it with a PENTAX weather-resistant digital SLR camera body, it assures a durable, reliable digital imaging system that performs superbly in demanding shooting settings, even in rain or mist, or at locations prone to water splashes or spray.
Newly installed three-position switch for Quick-Shift Focus System
The lens is equipped with the PENTAX-developed Quick-Shift Focus System, which allows the user to instantly switch to manual-focus operation after the subject is captured in focus by the camera’s AF system. In order to improve its operability, a three-position switch is newly installed on this lens, allowing instant switching among QFS/A, QFS/M and MF modes. QFS/A is an autofocus-priority mode, which allows the user to switch to manual-focusing operation only when autofocus operation is completed. QFS/M is a manual-focus-priority mode, which enables the user to switch to manual focusing at any time – even when the AF system is in operation. MF mode allows the user to instantly. Switch to manual focusing with a simple twist of the focus ring on the lens. With a choice of three distinctive modes, the user is assured of speedier, more accurate focusing operation for a given subject or application.
– Smooth, quiet AF operation using a lens-installed AF driving motor
– Round-shaped diaphragm to produce a natural, beautiful bokeh (defocus) effect, while minimizing the streaking effect of point light sources
– Focus range limiter to minimize AF operation time by fixing the focus range to one of three sub-ranges
– SP (Super Protect) coating to keep the front surface free of dust and stains
– Detachable tripod mounting with a newly designed anti-falling mechanism
– Focal Length: 70-200mm / Equivalent to 35mm format 107-307mm
– Maximum aperture: f/2.8
– Minimum aperture: f/22
– Number of Diaphragm Blades: 9 / Rounded aperture (F2.8-F5.6) / Diaphragm Control: Fully automatic
– Angle of View: 23-8.1° (when attached to PENTAX digital SLR cameras) / 34.5-12.5° (when attached to PENTAX 35mm SLR cameras)
– Construction: 19 elements in 16 groups
– Smallest object distance: 1.2m
– Magnification: 0.13x
– Filter size Diameter: 77mm
– Mount: KAF3
– HD Coating, AB Coating
– SP (Super Protect) Coating
– All Weather Resistant
– DC Motor
– Quick-shift Focus System
– Focus Range Limiter
PENTAX Pentax / Ricoh RICOH HD D-FA 70-200mm f/2.8 ED DC AW Lens